But where did it all start? And where is the French International finally moving? Read on to find out.
THOMAS LEMAR TRANSFER TIMELINE:
- Arsenal were probably the first suitors of the French International during the summer transfer window.
- Wenger was eyeing a move for either Riyad Mahrez or Thomas Lemar. But the former was tipped to join Barcelona during the summer meaning the Gunners boss had to permanently shift focus to Lemar.
- Arsenal made a series of bids during the summer but each one was turned down by AS Monaco.
- One of the biggest reasons for the Ligue 1 side blocking the deal was the fact that they had already lost a string of first-team players.
- The Gunners finally looked to have secured a summer window deadline day move for Thomas Lemar as Alexis Sanchez was on his way to Manchester City.
- But with only a few hours remaining the transfer collapsed and Lemar reportedly refused to join Arsenal. Most reports claimed that Lemar was against the move primarily because the Gunners were unable to offer him Champions League football.
- Chelsea officially joined the race to sign Lemar somewhere in December.
- By the end of December, reports started emerging that Liverpool might also be interested in the Thomas Lemar transfer as Philippe Coutinho was being heavily linked with Barcelona during the winter transfer window.
- The Monaco hierarchy had made it clear that the club will not sell Lemar in January as it was against the club’s policies.
- Liverpool’s worst nightmare came true and Coutinho moved to Barcelona for a fee of 142 million pounds.
- Now Liverpool too had officially joined the hunt for Thomas Lemar.
- As soon as Coutinho’s move to Barcelona was confirmed, Monaco quickly changed their stance and were now ready to listen to offer from clubs.
- The entry of Chelsea and Liverpool in the signing of Lemar have caused serious headaches for Arsenal as the Gunners are easily the weakest team to come for the player’s signature and on top of that, they are also set to lose Sanchez by the end of January.
Read: A major hint has just dropped that Chelsea are close to signing the perfect partner to Alvaro Morata.