According to Serie A club Napoli’s sporting director, Pierpaolo Marino, Manchester United are closely monitoring Napoli forward Dries Mertens.
While speaking to Calcio Mercato, Marino said, “The €28m clause is likely to be a low price even if he is 30,
“It turns out that United are following him very closely.”
Man Utd are following Napoli forward Dries Mertens 'very closely', according to Pierpaolo Marino (Napoli's former sporting director).(CM) pic.twitter.com/2n36O9edem
— Ammad United 🤘😈 (@Ammadutd) October 6, 2017
The 30-year-old forward has lit up the Serie A as he the already scored 9 goals in the 11 matches that he has played so far this season. The Belgium International joined Napoli back in 2013 from PSV but he was always in the shadows of Gonzalo Higuain. It was only after that the Argentine left for Juventus back in 2016 that Mertens stepped up to the top and eventually produced a fine display. He ended the previous season with 34 goals to his name which was two better than what Higuain managed to achieve at Juventus.
The player has a €28 million buy out clause in his current contract which by the standards of today’s market is nothing short of a bargain. Even though he is 30 years old but the Belgium International still has a few seasons of football left in him.
So if Manchester United do buy him next summer, then the Red Devils will truly be in a win-win situation. But having said that, London clubs like Chelsea and Arsenal are also long-time admirers of the Mertens.