It looks as if both East Bengal and Mohun Bagan have given up on the hope of staging a fight. And they are now all but ready to participate in the ISL.
According to Goal, officials of both East Bengal and Mohun Bagan jointly had a meeting with Kushal Das the Secretary of the AIFF. The meeting was held in New Delhi where both the clubs discussed the prospects of them joining the ISL.
Both the club officials have requested the AIFF for a franchise fee waiver considering the fact that these clubs have been pioneers of Indian football for over a century. The clubs officials also suggested that the ISL should allocate a sum of money from their central pool of ISL revenues to the Kolkata giants.
It is to be noted that Atletico De Kolkata have a five-year venue exclusivity contract clause with the ISL management. This means that if both East Bengal and Mohun Bagan do decide to play then they will have to shift their respective bases.
But both the clubs have made it clear to Kushal Das that they are ready to shift their home grounds if their demands are met. AIFF Secretary has promised the officials that he will get back to them with a response. And a next meeting is scheduled to be held in Kolkata on Tuesday.
While East Bengal has already picked up the ISL’s ‘Invitation to Bid(ITB) document, Mohun Bagan has until now kept the process on hold.
The deadline for the submission is the 25th of May, 2017. And if something is not worked out in these interim days then both East Bengal as weel as Mohun Bagan might see themselves loose out on playing in the 2017/2018 ISL season.
- East Bengal and Mohun Bagan want a franchise fee waiver.
- Both clubs was a sum of money from the ISL pool revenue.
- ATK have a 5-year venue exclusivity contract clause.
- Owing to the clause both EB and MB have to play their home matches outside of Kolkata.
- Both clubs are ready to do that if their demands are met.
- East Bengal has already picked up the ITB document.
- Mohun Bagan still waiting for AIFF response.
- The last date for submission of documents is 25th May 2017. Thursday.