Croatia and Real Madrid midfielder Luka Modric was named the best midfielder after his recent heroics in the FIFA World Cup.
After such a stellar summer, the midfielder rightly won the Ballon d’Or as he became the first man to win the trophy since 2007 whose name was neither Lionel Messi nor Cristiano Ronaldo.
But this rich vein of form has unfortunately not trickled down to the domestic season as Luka Modric has been having one of the worst seasons of his career at the Bernabeu.
And now many have started to question whether choosing Luka Modric as the best midfielder this season was actually justified.
Now sparking more controversy, Four Four Two have released the list of their own top 10 midfielders and in that too Luka Modric is ranked number one.
But apart from that, there are a couple of more shockers too.
Here’s the full list:
10. Thiago Alcantara (Bayern Munich and Spain)
9. Bernardo Silva (Manchester City and Portugal)
8. Paul Pogba (Manchester United and France)
7. Sergio Busquets (Barcelona and Spain)
6. Miralem Pjanic (Juventus and Bosnia)
5. Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City and Belgium)
4. David Silva (Manchester City and Spain)
3. Toni Kroos (Real Madrid and Germany)
2. N’Golo Kante (Chelsea and France)
1. Luka Modric (Real Madrid and Croatia)
Toni Kroos is another Real Madrid player who has had a poor season and he was also very average for Germany in the World Cup. But still, somehow he managed to come third on the list.
N’Golo Kante is just a sad story since after having such a stellar previous season with Chelsea and then going on to win the World Cup, the midfielder is now being forced to play out of position at Chelsea by Maurizio Sarri.
Paul Pogba was also on that World Cup winning team this summer but the Man United man has been ranked eighth. But we can understand why since he had a pretty pathetic first half of the season under Jose Mourinho and he is just about getting back into form under Ole.
Read: UEFA are set to hold a secret meeting which could seriously impact every major footballing league.