Santiago Bernabeu Real Madrid news
Santiago Bernabeu Real Madrid

Real Madrid and Barcelona are two of the biggest names in world football and both of them have come out to extend their full support to the government in fighting the outbreak.

Spain is one of the worst-hit countries in the whole world and at the time of writing this article Spain has over 70,000 confirmed positive cases of the virus.

Apart from a number of top European players coming out to provide medical aid and monetary help to the authorities, both Real Madrid and Barcelona have taken some really big measures to ensure that the treatment of patients in Spain is not halted.

The Real Madrid response:

Florentino Perez has opened the doors to the Bernabeu as Real Madrid have confirmed that their 81,000 seater stadium will be used to store donated medical supplies.

“All of the stored supplies will be passed on to the Spanish health authorities, under the authority of the Spanish government, so that the resources, so necessary in the current health emergency situation, are employed in the best and most efficient manner,” Madrid said in a statement.

This is indeed a great gesture from the Los Blancos as right now Spain looks to have become the epicentre for the outbreak in Europe.

Real Madrid have also agreed to make a big donation in order to help the city of Madrid fight against coronavirus.

“Thank you to Real Madrid for their very important contribution in tackling coronavirus and helping us to save lives,” the President of the Community of Madrid, Isabel Diaz Ayuso wrote on Tuesday.

“I have closed with their president, Florentino Perez, a big donation on health matters.”

The Barcelona response:

Lionel Messi has come out to donate a significant amount of money to the authorities to help in the fight of this battle as claimed by the Barcelona’s Hospital Clinic.

“Leo Messi makes a donation for the fight against Covid-19 at the Clinic. Many thanks for your commitment and your support,” Barcelona’s Hospital Clinic account wrote on Twitter.

Apart from this, FC Barcelona have also decided to reduce the financial impact of the outbreak but cutting the wages of their players and staff as confirmed by an official statement earlier this week.

“Among the measures adopted, it’s worth noting those related to the workplace are motivated by the need to adapt the contractual obligations of the club staff to the new and temporary circumstances that we are experiencing,” Barcelona said in a statement, as reported.

“It is a reduction of the working day, imposed by the circumstances and the protection measures carried out, and, as a consequence, the proportional reduction of the remuneration provided for in the respective contracts.”

It is worth noting that some reports have been claiming that the Barcelona players have rejected the wage cut since they will only be getting around 30% of their usual salaries.

Click here for all the other news & updates.